Found out why having a backup Antenna is important for HAM

Found out why having a backup Antenna is important for HAM

Postby wesurvive » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:15 am

I have had some breaks in my antenna lately from high winds and having my antenna 30 feet up in the air is not a fun task to crawl up on top of the house and take it down and put it back up again.

Lately I have had two breaks, the first I fixed and the solder was nothing too big to handle. The second time the wind knocked apart the solder and did a little more extensive damage to the HAM antenna. So I will have to invest in another antenna just because of the possible damage that may occur to the first antenna later on. I am working on repairing it today, but it is not something I want to be doing when there is heavy radiation fallout or when there is ice or 3 feet of snow on my roof either. I may strengthen the antenna so it will handle stronger winds much better as well.

In any case, those that that have HAM's may have to have a backup just in case.

On top of it all, my phone company has changed and shut off my service since I didn't buy their new phones, so until I get my new phone I just purchased from another company going I am out of communication with just about everyone unless I catch a crow or pigeon and send out a message. haha Well, I do still have email to send out messages with, but those who don't have email will wonder what is going on if they can't get ahold of me.

So when cell phone towers are down, our only means of communication is HAM radio.

Should be up and running some time today.
You Must Survive. So prepare for it.
wesurvive

Re: Found out why having a backup Antenna is important for H

Postby jpf1030 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:55 pm

Howdy WeSurvive,
Good warning in your posting! Maybe all will go out and check their antenna/mounts to see if they need to do any reinforcement because it is guaranteed we will be having high winds and possibly earthquakes in coming days. As cheap as it is to make excellent antennas as Mac taught us to do, it is crazy to not have a spare one kept in storage. Yep, that says it, we must have another antenna building class one of these days. I coordinated and purchased all the supplies last time we made a bunch. If someone else would like to take the lead to get in all the materials and set up facilities for the next antenna production class, they would sure be welcome to do so, which I encourage. If no one steps up and others feel the importance of this project, we will do all the logistical work to make it happen again. We will just have to see how many even respond to this posting with this offer. Last time the copper rod j-pole antennas with all connectors and fittings wound up costing $23. We stuck with the high grade LMR400 coax which was 75 cents per foot on the first go around. We had to order more and had to sell it at 85 cents per foot the next go around. We sold the 259 connectors (one for each end of the coax cable were $3 each. These antennas have been exceptional for everybody lucky enough to have got one, especially quite a few who did not even participate in the mass production class of building them. We have been willing to let others that did not participate, still get them at the same price because we want as many as possible to get their emergency communications system set up asap. Thanks to Mac, we have made so much progress in the is project, so a huge tip of the hat to him...jpf
jpf1030

Postby wesurvive » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:46 am

Sounds great to have another class, even those who don't check this forum will surely be interested to have some sort of communications set up. I am still not fully up and running now, had a few neighbors visit today and that ended my putting up the antenna and doing it right, so I have to wait until tomorrow now. Always something comes up. haha

Hang in there everyone, my communications and phone (it still doesn't work so I have to take that back tomorrow too) will be up and running soon.

I keep thinking, if only I had one more spare antenna laying around I would have been back up in a jiffy. Put me in for an order on one of those wonderful antennas. =)
You Must Survive. So prepare for it.
wesurvive

Postby Angelina » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:15 am

Hang in there everyone, my communications and phone davis cup winner odds (it still doesn't work so I have to take that back tomorrow too) will be up and running soon.
Angelina

Return to Communications