[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
BSOSCBlog.com • View topic - Need communications network and monitors to listen

Need communications network and monitors to listen

Need communications network and monitors to listen

Postby wesurvive » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:26 am

I know some are just busy and forget to turn their radios on, some may be out and about and don't have any radio with them and perhaps even others just are not tuned into the channels selected to monitor anyone talking.

I have done that myself, usually I am out and about and I don't have a radio with me. That will change since I will now have a radio in the vehicle this week to go where ever I go. I might invest in another hand held as well just to monitor.

I guess if something did happen, it would take hours before anyone else knew about it or perhaps just by luck someone was near a radio. So what we can expect is when the cell phones go out, the radio is the next best thing and if you don't have one with you and you are out and about, you will be sort of in the dark and no one will know what is going on from your view.

We did have a communications break down the last few days. I had only my radio to communicate with and the frequency I was on, no one else was on. Then after driving to find a phone and call, it was then I was able to get someone to go to that frequency and talk. Then of course, they gave me another frequency to go to, which I had no idea that was being used instead of the prior.

So to avoid Frustrations, I will draw up a list of frequencies with Mac on HAM that people can put into memory and monitor and get them out to all.

If you want to try out and see if anyone can reach you, just put your cell phone away for a few hours and try to reach someone on the frequencies you were told about. If you can reach someone, that is great. If you can't be prepared to be frustrated. haha

So a list is needed and will be made up. It is that important as it will be the only communication when the lights go out and the cell phones go blank.
You Must Survive. So prepare for it.
wesurvive

Re: Need communications network and monitors to listen

Postby jpf1030 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:31 am

Howdy WeSurvive,
I agree 100% that we are too lax on our radio monitoring. However, it may be more ignorance than apathy, at least in my case. I'm still a klutz in programming in frequencies to my radio. Every time I try to do so, it seems to screw up the others already programmed in. Also, a bunch of members radios need adjustments to fully utilize the list of frequencies you are compiling with Mac. This would be a great little class to have at the next BSOSC meeting if you would like to jointly teach it with Mac. It would fit perfectly with your little class planned for codes. If so, let Starr or I know so we can get it on the agenda. Thanks a bunch...jpf
Visit SOS General Store for all your
jpf1030

Return to Communications