[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
BSOSCBlog.com • View topic - Fanny bag / mini bug out bag till you reach your car/home

Fanny bag / mini bug out bag till you reach your car/home

Fanny bag / mini bug out bag till you reach your car/home

Postby wesurvive » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:22 am

I thought about what if I am riding with someone else to go somewhere. Not exactly the situation I would be throwing my bug out bag into their vehicle, so I may just want to go small and have a few things on hand so I can hike back to my vehicle or my home and at least I wouldn't have such a burden of the weight and can travel faster.

So I designed a small fanny bag with some small essentials to carry me through a night or several hours till I reach my vehicle or home, depending on how far I end up from home. Either way, it would work, even it took a day and most of the night.

This is what I came up with:

A fanny pack (standard size).
Inside I would have 2 protein health bars (organic). Chocolate of course.
(These I can ration and nibble on as I walk for energy if I get hungry.)

About 10 feet of parachute cord. (In case I find other goodies or have to make some quick snow shoes.)

A mini mag flash light (LED), with a pack of two AAA batteries. Helps with night time walking, each battery will last for hours.

Little box of water proof matches. (In case I cross a creek and have to start a fire to warm up, or just need warmth during a break from walking.)

My little .22 pistol with an extra 2 clips. (Fits in your palm size.)

One 3 inch candle. (If its winter, good to have an alternative heat source along.) A quick warm up during a break helps keep the energy up.

Garbage bag (construction size all rolled up tight and small with rubber band around it.) Uses range from heat, staying dry, to collecting water or filtration.

Space emergency blanket. (Small size.) Can be used to sleep in, etc.

Small pack of chewing gum. (When I can't smoke, I chew gum. Walking long distances and smoking just sucks.)

And on top is my medium sized water bottle tied to the fanny pack with more parachute cord.

I always carry a pocket knife, so there is no need for a knife in the fanny pack. Gum, well its a thing I might forget to put in my pants pocket, so its good to have an extra in the bag. I also have my lighter in my pocket, but when its wet the water proof matches come in handy.

It is a tight fit into the fanny pack, but easy to throw in a friends car and take anywhere I go. That works for me. Usually what I can even take while hiking and its simple to throw together. Each item has several uses.

What would you take in a fanny pack? Is it something you would use?
Or how many of you throw your bug out bag in a friends car going out on a Friday night?

The question is, when something happens, what do you have on you that can help you when you are out with others without your car?

Great for any disaster or event that may take place and you at least have something with you that can help you.

Always be prepared doesn't mean some of the time, I say.
You Must Survive. So prepare for it.
wesurvive

Re: Fanny bag / mini bug out bag till you reach your car/ho

Postby jpf1030 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:39 am

Howdy WeSurvive,
Point well taken on the mini bug out bag to always have with you. I agree with most of your contents items. You have given me thought in coming up with an excellent idea for ours. I don't advocate people buying our Eberlestock tactical backpacks in our store because even significantly discounted they are darned expensive. We have been slow in getting our full bug out bags finalized, with having the store and all, why worry :oops: ! Actually, we have done some work on this project and need to get our butts in gear to get finished. The cool thing about the Eberlestock Dragonfly pack is that the top pack is a removable fanny pack for day treks. Thanks to your thoughts, it hit me that I could use that as a separate mini bug out bag when traveling. Now I would just have to remember to reattach it to the Dragonfly if and when a major bug out was required...jpf
Visit SOS General Store for all your
jpf1030

Postby wesurvive » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:07 am

I think there were still many useful small bags you had in the store that could be used instead of a fanny bag. Even canteen holders work or those larger ammo packs that have the belt loop can be used. WIth some small innovation of tying a water bottle to the side or top of them they would work nicely too. If you have a complete unit to sell, that would save people from trying to find and fit the items needed into one of them, that way it benefits both parties. Anything that can be slipped onto a belt or come with a belt (even those small flexible army pack belts) and fit everything into it for small trips would work.

Can you get the smaller packs to sell that come off the top of the larger bug out bags? Is it an accessory item that you can buy separately as even a replacement to throw the small packs together as a complete set?
You Must Survive. So prepare for it.
wesurvive

Postby MikeG » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:51 pm

There are many different bags, like fanny bag type bags that work in conjunction with the eberlestock packs.

When I saw the ebrelestock packs come in and I was hanging them up I thought, Geez they're nice but they're kinda expensive. Then I put one on to try it. Oh my! Now that's how a pack should fit and feel. (it made my alice pack feel like a crate strapped to my back) When Jim's youngest son who was helping me put things up put one on he agreed, these are nice!

If you can afford anything by eberelstock, get it! it's built like a tank but doesn't weigh like a tank, and it feels like a Cadillac (meaning comfy not like you have a coupe de ville strapped to your back!)

Every second hand, goodwill and re use it shop has bags of every shape and size. If you're truly on a budget and can't afford much, you can pick up a fanny pack, shoulder bag and even sometimes a backpack for less than $10.

The SOS General Store also has several backpacks, rucksacks and smaller military surplus bags that are great for a BOB. For anyone who is interested, please contact me or jpf1030.
MikeG

New Plan: Fanny bag-mini bugout bag till you reach your car/

Postby jpf1030 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:50 pm

Hey Mike,
Maybe on your next week off, we could host a DRT meeting one night specifically for building mini and regular bug-out bags in the store. People could bring all their stuff if they want. They could also purchase components in the store if they want. We have some supply for econo to deluxe bags. I really think we may need this to get us all engaged in this (yep, us too!). Let me know...jpf
Visit SOS General Store for all your
jpf1030

Return to Survival