[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
BSOSCBlog.com • View topic - Get any backup parts (generator, vehicle, inverters, etc)

Get any backup parts (generator, vehicle, inverters, etc)

Get any backup parts (generator, vehicle, inverters, etc)

Postby wesurvive » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:37 pm

I have found along with helping others that looking for parts for solar systems, generators, vehicles, etc. has been harder to find and the websites or the companies themselves no longer exist. So what this means is times are getting tougher, companies are going out of business faster and even trying to find parts for the systems that were installed just a few years ago is becoming almost impossible to find.

It almost seems crazy that a $10,000 dollar heating system would no longer have replacement parts, but that is the way it is now. Trying to find a vehicle part is ending up going to a junk yard since NAPA or the most common parts places don't carry those parts any more. The replacement warrantee on a set of my batteries means nothing because those batteries are no longer being made. The list goes on and on.

Companies are buying out other companies, merging and down sizing in inventory and with personnel. If you want something this is the time to get any backup parts you will need in case something goes out in your solar (control boxes, inverters, pumps, capacitors, or even replacement boards, etc.). You would not believe what it took just to find some replacement capacitors for some pumps for a friend, it took hours upon hours of searching the web to find anything close to what would work as a replacement because they don't make them anymore and the system is only a few years old. It may not seem like a big thing to some, but if you go over the rating too much you will damage the pump or burn something else out, even destroy the new capacitor if it is too low of a range for the voltage being put into it.

Just for instance, how many of you bought something and now the company you bought it from is out of business? Kind of makes a difference when you need a replacement part now and you can't get it. So your $10,000 dollar system is worthless and you have to buy a whole new system or modify it as best as you can to get by with what you have by replacing other parts to even make it work. Well, this is pretty serious when you have a meltdown and can't get the parts you need in the future, so get a few back up parts while you still can.

If you don't have a lot of money, start looking around for alternatives to replace what you have and if you use central heating or electrical heating, time to invest in putting in a wood stove. I would say the largest disaster we have currently on hand is the number of businesses going out of business, which means your warrantees are no longer good, those parts are no longer available and in the end you are stuck with useless hardware that is just worth its weight in recycling material.

In the past 2 years, 47,000 factories and manufacturers in the United States went out of business. (Some dude on TV brought it up, so I looked it up and he was right.)
I have 2 inverters that went out in the past year, I bought them at the same time a while back, both under warrantee, both are useless junk now because the store is no longer in business. So why buy extended warrantees on anything anymore, because it is a waste of money. I lost about $400.00 or a little more in my past effort to buy something I thought would be under warrantee and bought the extended warrantee and now they are paper weights unless I find the parts I need to fix them myself. Which is possible for me, but for others it would be worthless junk sitting around after they go out. However, IF I can find any replacement boards I may one working again since it had a serious meltdown, the other may be salvageable. So what I expect to do is buy 4 more just to have 2 others on hand in case inflation hits and it will be harder to buy them. Thing to think about.

Just want everyone to be prepared and those things we really don't think about really do affect us when the time comes we need to replace something or have it fixed. If we don't think ahead and get what we need now, we have to go back to using something else that will do the job instead if we can even find it or afford it in the future.

If you have trouble finding replacement parts for something, post it on here in this thread and I will try and find it if I can in my spare time during the evenings.

You Must Survive.
You Must Survive. So prepare for it.
wesurvive

Re: Get any backup parts (generator, vehicle, inverters, etc

Postby jpf1030 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:21 am

WeSurvive is giving great advice in this post. Please, please check out your heating system for any electronic parts for which you should get back up parts and keep in a Faraday cage. Let us know at the next BSOSC meeting and we will do what we can to help you. WeSurvive, Jeff, Mac and myself will gladly help you to locate suppliers for electronic parts for your heating, power, etc. systems. We could be facing serious events in the near future. You do not want to have to ask yourself the terrible two questions when you are in the dark and shivering: 1) What could I have done? and 2) Why didn't I do it?...jpf
Visit SOS General Store for all your
jpf1030

Return to Survival