Hydrogen from Steam and Iron

Hydrogen from Steam and Iron

Postby jeffburrows » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:54 am

When steam is passed over red-hot iron, the iron combines with the oxygen of the steam to form the magnetic oxide of iron (Fe3O4) and give out hydrogen. This is a reversible reaction and so the hydrogen formed should be continuously drawn out: otherwise, it will reduce the iron oxide back to iron.

Iron wool/steel wool is taken in a combustion tube and heated till it is red hot. Then steam is passed over it.
iron trated with steam when red hot

The above reaction occurs and hydrogen gas is formed.
jeffburrows
Site Admin

Re: Hydrogen from Steam and Iron

Postby wesurvive » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:23 am

That is a great source of hydrogen and it looks easy to build too. I tried other versions of hydrogen and they were not just putting out as much as I wanted and never got to build the Stanley Meyers version as it was just too time consuming, so maybe this one is it. Will try the one you posted out some day this spring (when it is much warmer out.). =)
You Must Survive. So prepare for it.
wesurvive

Re: Hydrogen from Steam and Iron

Postby jpf1030 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:40 pm

Howdy WeSurvive,
I'm in to help you try this, as I'm sure Jeff and Mac will be. If others want to participate, they can reply to this thread. Otherwise, the four of us can get started on it when time allows. I'm very thankful to Nandu for putting us onto this and to Jeff for his diligent research in giving us some further direction for starting our experiments. So a big thanks to you, Nandu and Jeff...jpf
jpf1030

Return to Hydrogen