Pedal Power Plans

Pedal Power Plans

Postby jpf1030 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:27 am

We have not done a lot on pedal power yet in BSOSC, but we sure need to do so. At one meeting we had a class by Marty on bicycle tire flat repair and that is it. We have talked a little about mountain bikes, quad passenger-cargo bikes, etc. However, as with many other committees and subcommittees, our main lacking deficiency is a subcommittee chairman. One planned project for BSOSC development is bicycle power for grain grinders, small generators for battery chargers, etc. We have done a fair amount of research and data accumulation with which to assist whomever becomes the Pedal Power Subcommittee Chairman of the Task Force #6 -Alternative Energy/Transportation task force. If you have any interest in pedal power, you and all of the BSOSC group would greatly benefit from your service efforts in this capacity. Please contact Mac McQuaid or myself if you would be willing to chair this subcommittee...jpf
jpf1030

Re: Pedal Power Plans

Postby Rojelio » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:16 pm

Do you guys know Chad at the Red Barn Bicycle www.redbarnbicycles.com? One of the most knowledgeable bicycle gurus in the country, master bike mechanic and super nice laid back guy. Right off of Sleeping Child.
Rojelio

Postby jpf1030 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:54 pm

I've never made it out to meet him yet. Our mechanic friend at the corner of Skalkaho and Sleeping Child, Rick Pritchett, knows him and suggested we go out an meet him. Rick traded us a bike he had made a trade deal on with him...jpf
jpf1030

Postby Rojelio » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:17 am

I've been a biker for quite some time and I've got a few bicycles. Now that I've started thinking about the economy in terms of imminent collapse, my expensive 16 pound carbon nanofiber road racing bike holds much less emotional value. I want to sell it and use the proceeds towards a no nonsense cargo bike, maybe have Chad build it. I want to be able to move goods all around Hamilton fairly easily and even make day trips to Missoula and back. About 2 months out of the year (like right now), cycling is limited but not impossible.

Changing tires is not that bad. However there are a few specialty tools that one should have around (e.g, to change a chain). If a lot of your members are thinking about buying bicycles, it may be good to think about standardizing tube, tire and chain sizes.
Rojelio

Postby wesurvive » Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:15 am

DIY pedal power plans

Pedal power DIY:
http://www.ki4u.com/webpal/b_recovery/3 ... kedrum.htm

More ideas to build it yourself at:
http://www.ki4u.com/webpal/b_recovery/3 ... _index.htm

Something you may notice about their site. They have SEALED items which are going to be put up after a Disaster. haha.
I will invite them to become members, then perhaps they will realize there will not be any Internet if there is a disaster and nobody will ever read their SEALED information. haha. Oh well, each to their own ideas I guess. haha
You Must Survive. So prepare for it.
wesurvive

Postby jpf1030 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:41 am

Howdy WeSurvive,
I am in communication with the head of webpal.org, the site which you reference. I will fill you in the next time you are over...jpf
jpf1030

Postby Rojelio » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:52 am

I've got a Lemond RevMaster (http://www.lemondfitness.com/) about 3 years old. It's the cadillac of spinning bikes. If things worked out, I could donate it for the right project.
Rojelio

Return to Bikes and Trikes