[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
BSOSCBlog.com • View topic - Update On Metals Value Of Coins-Opportunity Running Out!!!

Update On Metals Value Of Coins-Opportunity Running Out!!!

Update On Metals Value Of Coins-Opportunity Running Out!!!

Postby jpf1030 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:20 am

Howdy All,
It has been a while since I posted on valuations of pre-65 US silver coinage (aka junk silver) and nickels and pre-83 pennies. When we started posting this info for our BSOSC trade markets, the junk silver coin value was 14 times the face value. Now it is 20 times face value on dimes, quarters and half-dollars and over 21 times on silver dollars. A few times I have posted about poor man precious metals being US nickel coins. Recently I learned about banks having nickels in $100 boxes. We checked and our local bank had them, so we got some. We found out the "box" was actually a sealed heavy plastic bag. The bag we purchased for $100 is worth $136.70 right now in metal value. I will repeat again...get these now as the opportunity is going to evaporate before you know it. You can get a 36.7% increase on your investment on the spot (pun!) at the time of purchase. Plus that value will climb continually as the value of the $100 bill will decline continually. This does not require any work of sorting effort. If you have the time and patience to buy pennies to sort for pre-83 issues, you can nearly triple the value of your investment. Below I have pasted excellent reference data on coin and their metal values from http://coinflation.com/. That link has info on a bunch of other coins, but I built a table below of the pertinent coins of interest for preppers. It was a pain in hand building the table, but well worth the effort if it convinces any of you to get some of those listed. Though junk silver coins are now worth 20 times their face value, we will see that double in a matter of months or more per all the silver experts. Prepare now while you, for the moment, still reasonably can...jpf
**************************************************************************************************************************************
United States Circulating Coinage Intrinsic Value Table This table does not reflect U.S. Mint production costs, but the pure base metal value that composes the coin. Calculations are based on coin weight, metal composition, and base metal prices. The "Metal % of Denomination" column represents the percentage of metal that comprises the denomination's purchasing power. A coin that is over 100% in this category has more base metal value than purchasing power.

Table based on January 26, 2011 closing base metal prices:

Copper $4.2618/lb 0.0426............Zinc $1.0225/lb 0.0163............Nickel $12.0191/lb 0.3515

Description.....................Denomination...............Metal Value..............Metal % of Denomination
Lincoln Copper Cent
1909-1982* (95% copper)...........$0.01....................$0.0281093.......................281.09%
* The U.S. Mint issued both compositions in 1982; they can be differentiated by weight (3.11 g copper, 2.5 g zinc). The 1943 steel cent is not included in the table above. Also, a tin alloy is used in one cent pieces from 1864 until 1962, but that value isn't significant enough to calculate.
Jefferson Nickel Price...............$0.05....................$0.0683546.......................136.70%
1946-2011 Nickel
1942-1945 Nickel ** .................$0.05....................$1.5534...........................3106.88%
JPF Note: If you are lucky enough to latch on to a bunch of these "silver" war nickels, you may wind up with a bonanza of cheap silver.
1946-1964 Roosevelt Dime..........$0.10....................$1.9972..........................1997.28%
1948-1963 Franklin Half Dollar.....$0.50....................$9.9864..........................1997.28%
Peace Silver Dollar 1921-1935......$1.00....................$21.3549.........................2135.49%
Visit SOS General Store for all your
jpf1030

Re: Update On Metals Value Of Coins-Opportunity Running Out!

Postby wesurvive » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:51 pm

Wow, thank you for posting that. Good to know what our coins are worth right now. Amazing!

I am still finding pre 1964 dimes and quarters in my pocket change. I don't know if any of you check your pocket change, but I am sure you will find a coin or two within a week in your pocket that is pre 1964. I checked my pockets for 4 weeks now and I found a handful of pre 1964 dimes and quarters already. Pretty amazing people are not still catching on and spending those precious coins at the gas stations, but perhaps people are pulling out those old bottles of coins and getting rid of them because they have no other money to use.

Anyway, just thought I would share the tip. It seems there is still a lot of pre 1964 silver coins in circulation that can be found in your pocket change. =)
You Must Survive. So prepare for it.
wesurvive

Re: Update On Metals Value Of Coins-Opportunity Running Out!

Postby jpf1030 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:07 pm

Though a small percentage these days, you are right, there are some pre-65 coins still in circulation. A friend I introduced to silver a few years ago has turned into a real silver bug, earning his spending money. He goes to some of the restaurants here in the valley offering the waitresses $1.00 for every pre-65 silver dime they get in tips. The are ecstatic at getting a dollar for a dime and he doubles his money. So it is not only worth checking your change for junk silver, but keep every nickel and all pre-83 pennies for an immediate profit dwarfing anything you could invest in these days...jpf
Visit SOS General Store for all your
jpf1030

Return to Precious Metals