[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
BSOSCBlog.com • View topic - BSOSC ICE Update Report & Latest Tom Greco Newsletter

BSOSC ICE Update Report & Latest Tom Greco Newsletter

BSOSC ICE Update Report & Latest Tom Greco Newsletter

Postby jpf1030 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:50 am

Howdy All,
Below is a BSOSC ICE update report I sent out today to some people. It may be of interest to anyone following our alternative economy, ICE, update on this blog. I give the status of all our developments and what we will be working on henceforth. We are and will probably be in the last window of opportunity for acquiring silver at a cheap price compared to what it will be. I have included Tom Greco's contact info for anyone desiring to subscribe to his excellent (and free) newsletter. Get Prepared!!!...jpf
*************************************************************************************************************
Below is Tom Greco's newsletter that just came in today. It is a reminder that we must be getting our BSOSC ICE (Intentional Community Economy) system accelerated if we are going to be ready for the rapidly coming SHTF economic collapse. We have made good progress, but the system is still too vulnerable to be at high operational efficiency were it required to be implemented immediately.

We are blessed to have an adept internet friend like Tom Greco always willing to help and give us guidance. He has always expressed his support and appreciation that we are making such an effort in developing our ICE. After we started communicating with Tom, you were gracious enough to start carrying his books in your bookstore. When you and Amanda had to shut down the store, did you have any of his books left over? If so, we could advertise them in our http://www.sosgeneralstore.com.

Since you accepted the calling to be Task Force #7-ICE leader, we have felt you have the best knowledge base and enthusiasm for the need to best magnify this position. Jeff and I are both willing to assist you in your Task Force #7 leadership efforts in any manner you may need since we had primarily carried most all the development work load from the inception.

If you want to schedule an action plan meeting, give us a call to figure out when would be a good time for all 3 of us. To give you an update for your planning purposes, I will do a quick review of where we stand on all 3 facets of ICE.

1) Means of Exchange: We have made a couple of temporary versions of the Bitterroot
Bucks (B-Bucks). We have the embossing stamp. We tried different denominations,
but did not get a smooth system going. There was some discussion about putting an
expiration date on them to keep them circulating. We discussed, but never finalized all
the info to go on each B-Buck like: A) Info to designate on the B-Buck such as name of
producer with their commodity backing putting it into the system, date, denomination,
etc.; B) System for determining limits for amount of B-Bucks that any one producer
could introduce into the system, which would vary considerably due to demand level
differences among various commodities needed in the marketplace; C) Means for
averting counterfeiting; D) B-Buck issuance, redemption and renewal system in our
local credit clearing house.

2) Valuation System: Jeff and I did a bunch of research on historical purchasing power
of gold and silver money for commodities and services, for which we have that data
available to give producers an idea as to a starting point on determining value in real
money for the products or services for all producers. The free market will be the final
value determinant, but all people will need some realistic guide as they necessarily
become producers in the post-collapse economy. We still need to do some more work
on this, but it is fairly comprehensive at this point of development.

3) Credit Clearing Exchange: We briefly reviewed this with you regarding the need for a
person/committee to oversee this. There are several items needing additional work in
this area: A) You and us were concerned about who would have the responsibility for
maintaining silver storage for those rare instances of people wanting to redeem
B-Bucks for silver and those present non-producers to buy B-Bucks with silver; B) We
have worked on a number of discount rates, but nothing finalized for exchanging of
B-Bucks for silver or vice versa by those silver holding current non-producers; C) The
credit limit criteria still needs to be finalized for the different category producers. A
producer with a high turn over rate production commodity would obviously have higher
credit limit for issuance of B-Bucks; D) A decision must be made for delegating
authority of B-Buck credit issuance, be it by committee or ICE chairman decision.

4) Cottage Industries: Over the last year I started developing this fourth very important
facet to any ICE system. Knowing everyone must be a producer in a post-collapse
alternative economy, there must be a foundation upon which to build it, the answer to
which is the old time cottage industry system. Some people have product or service
ideas, but lack the expertise or capital to bring it to fruition.

Since we have shops with pretty well equipped facilities, I've made the offer to some
people to come here to use our place to get their cottage business kicked off and we
could be an additional market source for them through our online store. We have
numerous product R&D efforts in waiting to be done which we would gladly farm out to
any awakened people seeing the need to get something established for themselves.

They would be welcome to do their cottage business work here until they start gaining
sufficient capitalization to open their businesses at their own location/home. So far just
about no one has taken advantage of our offer and started producing anything, but
there are a couple who are working now at product development.

It is sad that people can't see what is coming so they can start preparing now in getting
their own cottage industry business going. Even if the crash was not coming, this
principle would help them to enjoy some additional degree of economic viability in
this dismal economy, while preparing them to have survivability when their livelihood
depends totally upon their own productivity.

Granted, the majority of people do not have the savvy, diligence and determination to
become entrepreneur cottage business owners. This is why we have tried to reach and
teach those who have what it takes that the sooner they start, the sooner they will be
creating work opportunities for the majority that need to work for someone else.

I can't remember how many people who have expressed the lame excuse for not doing
anything with their "great" idea because they don't have the money. Though we don't
have capital to fund them, when we offer to let them use our facilities to greatly offset
the capital need, they come up with another excuse as to why they "can't".

Our goal in this fourth facet of BSOSC ICE is not to be to try to convince and motivate
people as to the importance of all four facets of ICE, but to make awareness of our
program to those who do know in their gut and spirit they must be prepping in this
manner for what is coming. These will be the foundational pillar stones of the emerging
new paradigm in the dust of the collapse of the old paradigm.

I'm sure there are other unresolved issues, but the above are the ones that quickly come to mind at the moment for each of the four facets of BSOSC ICE.

We also need to address a means to generate more participation from BSOSC members at the trade markets at our BSOSC meetings, which has been waning the last few months.
I guess it is like our oldest member says, 84 yr. old Leo, that things have not become bad enough yet to prompt people to the importance of what we are trying to do in having a local alternative economy in place for when SHTF.

In our last visit you had mentioned gearing up to expand BSOSC ICE into the general community, including any interested parties in the local business sector. Jeff and I are in total agreement, but we must first have all our ducks in a row regarding the above list of unresolved issues. The tri-fold flyer you made up is an excellent step in preparing to introduce the system into the community outside BSOSC membership. As we complete work on all the other items, we will be able to finalize your flyer.

I'm cc'ing this to Tom since I have not sent him an update on our effort in a number of months. He may even have some input on the mentioned "to do" items. We have very carefully followed the guidance you and us have received in reading Tom's books, particularly our main guide, The End of Money and Future of Civilization.

Though it seems our ICE is still languishing, from what I've seen in monitoring many prep groups, we appear to be far ahead of the curve in this extremely important preparedness step compared to most all others. It is a pretty grim picture to think about the mass chaos that is going to erupt in probably 99.99% of all US communities that have not prepared an alternative economy to step in when the crash hits.

If you can become very pro-active in your leadership in consideration of your excellent skills and knowledge, we can get BSOSC ICE up to full speed in pretty quick order, maybe just in time before the crash!

Completion of ICE is so critical, Jeff, myself and Starr will continue to do all needed to assist you. It has been quite the challenge with a number of task force leaders bailing out leaving all the load on us in addition to our many support roles in all aspects of BSOSC activities. The three of us and a couple of active Task Force leaders are so engaged in trying to keep all seven prep task forces functioning, it is a welcome relief to have someone of your caliber stepping up in taking this leadership role.

The complete wool processing facility old Leo is now helping us set up with donation of all his equipment and three classes he is teaching (#2 on wool felt making is tomorrow night) can be a cottage industry opportunity for multiple people. The complete system of machines takes raw wool from the sheep to finished yarn, cloth and felt. Leo demonstrated hats, boot liners, blankets, mittens, etc., etc. that he has made over the years.

We have made an area available for this wool processing in our shop for any BSOSC member to utilize. Anytime any motivated member decides they want to become a producer, we will be happy to discuss the other product fabrication opportunities that can be available to them, either here or at their own place.

Maybe when the time rolls around for your turn as Task Force #7 leader to host the BSOSC meeting, which will be the Feb. 2012 meeting, we can have a lot more of the ICE completed and better even better situated to teach folks about the importance of cottage industries in becoming a producer. Sometimes just in being around creatively thinking people in such a meeting will cause people to come up with great ideas upon which to build their own cottage industry. If you do not want to wait until the regularly scheduled rotation for your meeting hosting, we will gladly schedule a special meeting. You can let Starr know and she will get a notice out to the entire membership.

Thanks to Tom Greco's latest newsletter today, it motivated me to take time to give you a detailed written status update report on BSOSC ICE as I know I did not cover everything in our verbal communications. Also, this will give a written guide as to where we are to enable you to know better where we need to go next in our ICE developments. Just let us know when you would like to schedule an action planning meeting and we will giterdun'!!! Thanks a bunch.

Happy Preparedness Trails,

Jim
********************************************************************************************
--- On Thu, 10/20/11, Thomas Greco <thg@mindspring.com> wrote:

Subject: Newsletter, Fall 2011
To: "Thomas Greco" <thg@mindspring.com>
Date: Thursday, October 20, 2011, 2:54 AM

Newsletter, Fall 2011

Update

Hi all,

As you know, I've been residing in Thailand since the middle of June, but I’m sensing a call to get to where the action is, and right now that seems to be North America. So, I’ll be returning to the U.S. on October 28.

First on my agenda is to collect my mail and gather some warm clothing from my storage unit in Tucson, then I’ll head for Michigan to participate in the International Conference on Sustainability, Transition and Culture Change, near Traverse City, Thursday, Nov. 10 - Monday, Nov. 14, 2011 at the Shanty Creek Resorts, Bellaire, Michigan.
http://sustainabilityconference.org/index.htm.

That conference could be the initiating event for an ongoing process of design, strategy planning, and implementation of alternative systems, especially systems of exchange and finance. I’m encouraging all who are able to attend and to pass the word to your networks. Notable participates will be Australian economist Steve Keen and Nicole Foss of Automatic Earth.

Over the coming weeks or months I’ll be available and open to invitations to speak, confer, and collaborate. You can view/hear many of my presentations and interviews by going to my website, Beyond Money: http://beyondmoney.net. Some of my most notable recent presentations are on my Vimeo site: http://vimeo.com/tomazg/videos

I've been watching with great interest the OWS movement and am encouraged to see that so many people are no longer willing to tolerate the status quo. I've posted a few items about it recently on http://beyondmoney.net. This may be the surge that begins the kind of real change that people have been looking for.

Demonstrations and other expressions of discontent can help to inspire people and encourage them to act, but that energy must be applied in ways that can effect real change. I'm generally optimistic about the prospects for a successful metamorphic change in civilization, but it will require us to learn radical ways of sharing, cooperation, and organization.

If we are to make the necessary shift of power away from Wall Street and Washington, we will need to reduce our dependence upon their systems and structures (like political money and banks) and organize new structures that empower people. Let’s work together to provide the direction this movement needs.

Just Released

Pertinent to that is the release a new book from EVOLVER EDITIONS/North Atlantic Books. Edited by Daniel Pinchbeck and Ken Jordan, and titled, What Comes After Money: Essays from Reality Sandwich on Transforming Currency & Commerce, this anthology includes “thoughtful, provocative essays from economist Bernard Leitaer, media theorist Douglas Rushkoff, Sacred Economics author Charles Eisenstein, musician Paul D. Miller (a.k.a. DJ Spooky), theoretical physicist Amit Goswami, Larry Harvey (founder of Burning Man), alternative historian Peter Lamborn Wilson,” and yours truly, Thomas Greco. My essay is titled, Local Control of Credit: The Foundation of Economic Democracy (p. 191).

In his introduction to the book, Daniel talks about the emergence of a conscious culture to challenge Wall Street's consumerist paradigm. You can read it here: http://www.realitysandwich.com/impossible_alternative. More information about the book can be found at Amazon.com, which is offering the book at a discounted price.

Thailand Floods

Many people have been asking about the flooding in Thailand that has been widely reported in the news. Monsoon rains are normal for this part of the world, but this has been one of the rainiest years on record. A large amount of farmland has been inundated and some crops destroyed, but the biggest problems are in the urban and industrial areas that are built along the major rivers. As is the case everywhere, land is quite valuable in such areas and attempts are made to fill in marshland and restrict waterways to narrow channels. Nature has no regard for such activities. One of the worst effects of flooding is the increase in illnesses from water-borne microbes as floodwater is contaminated with sewage, which can also cause food supplies to be contaminated.

Fortunately, Chiang Mai, where I spend most of my time, experienced only a small amount of flooding along the Ping River for a few days a couple weeks ago, but fresh food markets in that area had water standing a foot or two deep, which might have caused some bacterial transfer to food supplies here. There are reports of increased numbers of people visiting emergency clinics and I myself was sick for a while with what seemed like a bad head cold and respiratory congestion. I don’t know if that was flood related but whatever the case I’m better now.

The main problems seem now to be in the south around Bangkok and Ayutthaya where severe flooding continues and has affected a great many people, plus manufacturing facilities, so you may feel some effect as well. Here’s an excerpt from some news reports about that:

Disk manufacturing sites in Thailand -- notably including the largest Western Digital plant -- were shut down due to floods around Bangkok last week and are expected to remain shut for at least several more days. The end to flooding is not in sight, and Western Digital now says it could take five to eight months to bring its plants back online. Thailand is a major manufacturer of hard drives, and the shutdowns have reduced the industry's output by 25 percent.

And..

Inner Bangkok has so far escaped major flooding as the authorities divert water to areas outside the main capital in a bid to prevent the Chao Phraya River bursting its banks and flooding the political and economic heartland.

But efforts to keep the city of 12 million people dry have been complicated by a seasonal high tide.

Read more here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/506 ... nevitable/

The airports seem to be OK for now—if the dikes hold. I fly out of Bangkok next week.

Cheers,

--
Thomas H. Greco, Jr.
thg@mindspring.com
Mobile phone (Thailand): +66 84 373 5645
Mobile phone (USA): 520-820-0575
Beyond Money: http://beyondmoney.net
Tom's News and Views: http://tomazgreco.wordpress.com
Archive Website: http://www.Reinventingmoney.com
Photo gallery: http://picasaweb.google.com/tomazhg
Skype/Twitter name: tomazgreco
My latest book, "The End of Money and the Future of Civilization"
can be ordered from Chelsea Green Publishing, Amazon.com, or your local bookshop.
Visit SOS General Store for all your
jpf1030

Return to Local Currency: BSOSC Bucks, Bitteroot Hours, Etc.