[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
BSOSCBlog.com • View topic - Cooking with a candle stove for survival

Cooking with a candle stove for survival

Cooking with a candle stove for survival

Postby wesurvive » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:21 am

Everyone has a few cans of goodies they would like to heat up in a hurry. Even boil a handful or two of rice or beans for a meal. A candle and a home made stove out of another can does the trick.

Candle stove, just use candles to boil water and cook your food. Candles are cheap and you can make your own version of a candle stove, just if you cook inside then crack a window and use bricks under the candle stove so you don't melt anything. Bricks that look nice (if you worry about looks) are about 4 bucks for an 11 inch one. Candles from the dollar store work great. You can cut longer ones to be shorter. Use a coffee can, pop can, or whatever works to place the candles in. Use wire coat hangers for a cooking rack or design your own. Will cook cans of chili in a minute or two. I used to do this a lot, just cook the chili in the can it comes in over a candle, but first open the can before cooking it so you don't have it explode all over you. =)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEWNOL98 ... re=related

Now, I have used candles to cook with years ago in my car when I was living in Seattle (went to Seattle Pacific University and ended up living in my car or with friends for 6 months due to finances.) So I know it works. I cooked on it almost every night.

Now there is also the pop can version of an alcohol stove. Many names from the silver bullet stove to the penny stove.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qj7PIhjP ... re=related

Of course this kid was doing it his way, but there are many versions and safer ways to start this type of stove. haha

Now these will cook rice, beans and what ever else you want.

For cooking a can of chili, I simply put it on the top of the rack above the candles and within a few minutes it was boiling. So if you have canned goods on hand, you can just open the can and cook it on a candle stove.

A small candle will burn for a few hours, depending on the size. I used those little fat candles and they were only a .25 cents back then, now they are a buck I believe. Only way to test it is to try it out. Nice thing about a candle is you can blow it out and the alcohol one, well its doesn't blow out so easily. So I stick with candles and have had a bunch on hand at all times.

Just thought I would add this as well to help as many as I can.
You Must Survive. So prepare for it.
wesurvive

Re: Cooking with a candle stove for survival

Postby jpf1030 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:08 pm

Howdy WeSurvive,
Good and worthwhile post on candle stoves! At a BSOSC meeting a year or more ago, we taught how to make survival candle stoves with wax and cardboard in tuna fish or whatever cans. We have bulk wax and wick material here if anyone wants to do a more advanced class of actually making these for all attendees at a BSOSC meeting...jpf
Visit SOS General Store for all your
jpf1030

Re: Cooking with a candle stove for survival

Postby wesurvive » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:52 am

Yes, I made several candle stoves to show in photos as well.

Basically it is taking any soup, chili or fruit can and just taking off the label so it won't burn or stink. Next put a candle that will fit inside the can and drop it in, those little fat ones work or I found a bunch of other types of 1/2 inch (as long as the can) candles to try out as well. If you use the thin candles, drop in a handful so they won't fall over or use little rocks to hold them up in the can. I also melted the bottom of one candle and dropped the hot wax into the can and then stuck the candle in the hot wax to hold it up, which worked half the time. Using the rocks to hold them up is good or better use many candles to fill up the can so they won't fall over. Best is to use those fat candles that will fit into the cans. Either way works, what ever a person has on hand.

Even a large candle cut into many smaller ones will work.

Then grab 2 long nails and put them over the top of the can. Now you have a holder to put your canned food on or your pan to cook. If you don't have nails or steel rods, then just bend over the top of the can in four corners to make a sort of holder for your can of soup or chili.

Don't forget to open the can before cooking it, otherwise it will explode or something drastic will happen, so open the can then cook it. You also want to be able to stir it or add spices.

A can of soup or chili will cook within 5-10 minutes. Stir a few times and use something to grab the can with since it will be hot and let it boil for a minute then blow out the candle. I wait a minute or two before taking the can off since some of it still boils and will splatter. Let it cool enough to eat and you have dinner.

Tips: To cook with a larger pot you want to use a handful of candles and makes sure the flame is touching or is as close to the bottom of the pot as possible to start. The closer the flame to the can or pot, the faster it will boil. You can even cook a potato in the can with some water in the can.

Cooking an egg in a soup can: Dump in some olive oil or butter in a clean soup can and throw in an egg or make a round omelet with what ever else you want to add to the egg. To get the egg or omelet out, go around the sides of the cooked egg with a knife and then tip it over your plate and gently tap the bottom.

Always cook outside or with a window open. Some candles like the ones I tried tonight stink, in fact it says, made in china so who knows what they put in those things anymore. haha
Had to air out my house. I tried some other candles and they worked fine and didn't stink.
There is no brand name on them so I can't tell you which ones don't stink.

Also, if you are outside, you can put some dried grass, leaves, dried pine needles and small pieces of wood in it to cook with also. So if you don't have candles, you can use anything that burns. You truly don't want to do this inside.
You Must Survive. So prepare for it.
wesurvive

Return to How To: Survival Tools: Home-Made & Buy