[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
BSOSCBlog.com • View topic - How to make pottery using a campfire pit and creek clay

How to make pottery using a campfire pit and creek clay

How to make pottery using a campfire pit and creek clay

Postby wesurvive » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:37 am

Making pottery bowls and plates.

Some of you may think about having plates, bowls and other items on hand when bugging out. Others will find ot they have nothing to cut things on and will use a log, which is fine. I like to think I can have all the luxuries of home away from home and having a bowl to to eat out of (soups) when I forgot my bowl at home is something I want to have on hand. Soup cans work, but they rust after a while.

So why not make pottery bowls. The indians did it, so can we.

All we need is some really thick mushy clay, some fondling of the clay to make some sort of bowl and fire.

The furnaces I used to use in school to make pottery were cool, but a fire pit with rocks around it capture the heat, a nice huge flat rock on top and throw some rocks up against the front and back to make it like a furnace will work. Cooking time will vary, but I won't be making soup for the first day anyway, but later when I gather nuts, pine needles, water and other veggies in the wild I can make different kinds of soups or even teas. I would need a clay cup for that, but no problem.

So I know some of you others have made pottery, so please include any ideas you have as well.

Ancient pottery making.
http://www.anamcara.org/pottery.htm

How to make pottery.
http://ezinearticles.com/?History-Of-Po ... &id=815256

Video of pottery making. Ideas help.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUercko4nXE

Step by step in pottery making.
http://www.howtomakepottery.com/

Now I know the finer the sand in the mud is the nicer and smotther the pottery can be made. So I remember seeing some nice reddish clay near the creek on my land. I think when warm weather comes again, I may try my handy work if time permits.

It may take some testing or just making the pottery thick enough so it won't break or crack so easily. I think surely if our ancestors did it, so can we.

Any others want to fill in the gaps, please assist.
You Must Survive. So prepare for it.
wesurvive

Re: How to make pottery using a campfire pit and creek clay

Postby jpf1030 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:59 am

Howdy WeSurvive,
I can only contribute minimally, having taken one pottery class in college. After Priya came, I was "fired" up to get a pottery kiln to fire our clay pots and irrigation emitters we hope to be making. I did not want an electric one considering we could be post grid power, so looked for and was blessed to find a gas kiln. Now we should have opportunity to run it on methane or wood gas once we ever get time to get it set up. We would be up for a BSOSC class to make some pots, bowls, plates, etc. The one thing I have not found is a source of raw clay. Otherwise, we would have to buy potters clay. If anyone knows of clay deposits, it would be good to reference now before we need it. The clay pot irrigation system is probably the best in the world for garden irrigation...jpf
Visit SOS General Store for all your
jpf1030

Return to How To: Survival Tools: Home-Made & Buy