Cheap bomb shelters

Cheap bomb shelters

Postby wesurvive » Fri May 13, 2011 8:18 am

Having more people ask me about bomb shelters it has to be posted. I think others would like to know as well. After all it is becoming extremely popular now everywhere in the galaxy.

Here is something that may help.
(from another forum)
Also, if you don't have a lot, just build a wooden frame in the ground and that alone will last a few years. Use 2x6 walls and a 2x6 ceiling and plywood on the walls (or any lumber you can find) and pour cement over it a few inches (with chicken wire, barbed wire and or rebar) and then cover with dirt. This will do the trick. If you want it water tight, that requires some cement on the outside or rock and cement covered with a sealant (dry lock).
You can do a cheap rock and mortar floor too. Throw in some Christmas LED lights for lighting and throw your food in with a 5 gallon bucket for a toilet.
You venting system can be a simple 5 gallon bucket filled with charcoal (preferred bio-char or burned wood not completely turned to ash) as this will soak up radiation. Then hoses going to it from your shelter and out the other side of the bucket. (I would have two buckets filled with bio-char). Hook up a computer fan (12 volt) and you have an air filtration system. Also need the air outlet hole, same with another bucket of bio-char.

Also a tip on making boards like cement. Take some Portland cement (without the sand, just cement) and mix it in water. Then paint your wood with that mixture and it will make it rock hard or close to it. It will last many more years in the ground too. I do this all the time.

There you have it, for less then 150 bucks you have a shelter. That is if you dig the hole by hand.

Or dig under your house. Make a tunnel as long as your house. Cover it and you are good. (With an entry hatch from inside the house like in a closet.)
(End of quote)

More on shelters.
http://www.undergroundbombshelter.com/b ... helter.htm

Cheap bomb shelter info.
http://www.radshelters4u.com/mini-blast-shelter.htm

Another cool site on making your own bomb shelter.
http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/yago74.html

How about an old school bus buried as a bomb shelter?
http://www.radmeters4u.com/arktwo/photo ... otocon.htm

There is also the sandbag and mortar bomb shelter, the steel frame (using anything from old car frames to scrap metal, and the cinder block. What ever works.

Also a Large Variety of Shelters, Use for ideas or buy.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/technol ... re/4325649
You Must Survive. So prepare for it.
wesurvive

Re: Cheap bomb shelters

Postby MikeG » Sat May 14, 2011 6:08 am

Also, if you don't have a lot, just build a wooden frame in the ground and that alone will last a few years. Use 2x6 walls and a 2x6 ceiling and plywood on the walls (or any lumber you can find) and pour cement over it a few inches (with chicken wire, barbed wire and or rebar) and then cover with dirt. This will do the trick. If you want it water tight, that requires some cement on the outside or rock and cement covered with a sealant (dry lock).

Whoever wrote this should be slapped. Without proper knowledge of good framing techniques, bracing for and dealing with concrete this "just get some lumber and toss cement on it" is a recipe for disaster. If you don't know this type of construction inside out don't attempt it on your own. There is a lot more involved and the author is extremely irresponsible in writing this. Wet concrete is extremely heavy. Oh it's possible to do, but without the proper knowledge the average homeowner , as I am sure Jim can attest to as well, can have a potential collapse on thier hands. Quit watching those home builder shows! Adding any dirt on top only adds to a lot more weight and stress on an improper structure.
You can do a cheap rock and mortar floor too. Throw in some Christmas LED lights for lighting and throw your food in with a 5 gallon bucket for a toilet.
You venting system can be a simple 5 gallon bucket filled with charcoal (preferred bio-char or burned wood not completely turned to ash) as this will soak up radiation. Then hoses going to it from your shelter and out the other side of the bucket. (I would have two buckets filled with bio-char). Hook up a computer fan (12 volt) and you have an air filtration system. Also need the air outlet hole, same with another bucket of bio-char.I'm no expert on fallout shelters but the idea of "winging it" seems like a bad idea

Also a tip on making boards like cement. Take some Portland cement (without the sand, just cement) and mix it in water. Then paint your wood with that mixture and it will make it rock hard or close to it. It will last many more years in the ground too. I do this all the time.

There you have it, for less then 150 bucks you have a shelter. With "throwing a couple of inches of concrete on it, this guy has no idea what the cost of concrete is these daysThat is if you dig the hole by hand.
MikeG

Re: Cheap bomb shelters

Postby ponun » Sat May 14, 2011 6:58 am

MikeG wrote:Also, if you don't have a lot, just build a wooden frame in the ground and that alone will last a few years. Use 2x6 walls and a 2x6 ceiling and plywood on the walls (or any lumber you can find) and pour cement over it a few inches (with chicken wire, barbed wire and or rebar) and then cover with dirt. This will do the trick. If you want it water tight, that requires some cement on the outside or rock and cement covered with a sealant (dry lock).

Whoever wrote this should be slapped. Without proper knowledge of good framing techniques, bracing for and dealing with concrete this "just get some lumber and toss cement on it" is a recipe for disaster. If you don't know this type of construction inside out don't attempt it on your own. There is a lot more involved and the author is extremely irresponsible in writing this. Wet concrete is extremely heavy. Oh it's possible to do, but without the proper knowledge the average homeowner , as I am sure Jim can attest to as well, can have a potential collapse on thier hands. Quit watching those home builder shows! Adding any dirt on top only adds to a lot more weight and stress on an improper structure.
You venting system can be a simple 5 gallon bucket filled with charcoal (preferred bio-char or burned wood not completely turned to ash) as this will soak up radiation. Then hoses going to it from your shelter and out the other side of the bucket. (I would have two buckets filled with bio-char). Hook up a computer fan (12 volt) and you have an air filtration system. Also need the air outlet hole, same with another bucket of bio-char.I'm no expert on fallout shelters but the idea of "winging it" seems like a bad idea

There you have it, for less then 150 bucks you have a shelter. With "throwing a couple of inches of concrete on it, this guy has no idea what the cost of concrete is these daysThat is if you dig the hole by hand.

Mike, anyone who builds anything to be a shelter is going to look up how to do it or hire someone, most are pretty handy with building already and perhaps you are thinking there are teenagers reading this that will attempt just a wooden box with cement on it. I don't think there is one teenager on here yet and even if there is they would not attempt to build one because they would rather spend their money on something else.

I see nothing wrong with the first post.
ponun

Return to Radiation-Shelter Protection