[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
BSOSCBlog.com • View topic - Building our libraries of Educational Material

Building our libraries of Educational Material

Building our libraries of Educational Material

Postby wesurvive » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:09 pm

Some of you may realize that there will not be any public schools open during or after a disaster, perhaps months or even years. An economic collapse would deprive children of going to school since teachers would not be paid and schools would have no source of funding to keep the lights on even.

So what is the alternative? Prepare to have your children learning at home. That entails having the proper ingredients to educate your children outside of any public education system.

Now, it isn't just those basic school levels that the children need to have books and literature for, but for all subjects. Even Astrophysics, Chemistry (college level), and advanced mathematics. Yes, there are some nice educational materials that can be downloaded off the Internet and printed. However, if you prefer spending money on books, looking into those second hand book stores to find valuable teaching materials are good to start with.

Barns and Noble has sales on educational material as well during the holidays or during summers or before school starts. Hastings also has a discount section of college books that are either new or used.

If we do not prepare to have the materials on hand to help teach the children at all levels, we will have a longer drawn out process of trying to teach those children. However, at the costs, perhaps finding others that have one set of materials and you have the other, you can then share your materials with others to take up the slack and save money. However, if they move or their house burns down or if something happens that the materials are lost, then you are without those vital materials needed.

So if you want to use the Internet to find most of the free educational material, I will help give some links so you can download that material. Others may also have their own favorite links which they might want to share as well.

On top of that, I lost where the Education Link was so I can properly post such information.
If it helps, please post the Education thread under Task Force 1. (If it is not already there, maybe I will have to look more. haha)

So if you find great educational links, please post them. We will get them to the proper location later. Posting them under Awareness for now will work.

So I will begin to dig up all the links I can find that offer great educational material for all ages. Tips and tricks to speedy math learning and how to speed read at over 2500 words per minute. Everything I can find in all subjects I will post.

Please feel free to post anything you find that will help for homeschooling. Schools may be out Forever one day. It will be up to the parents to teach their children and having the material on hand will save a lot of reinventing the wheel in the future. =)
You Must Survive. So prepare for it.
wesurvive

Re: Building our libraries of Educational Material

Postby wesurvive » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:20 pm

Also, if any of you who read this have links to or names of books that teach different skills (carpentry, plumbing, electrical, engineering of all types, sewing, weaving, botany, technical, AMP (aircraft maintenance and power plant), mechanics, welding, etc.) Please feel free to post any links or add any material (FTP) downloads you have found.

Any other ideas on subject matter, please post them here too.
You Must Survive. So prepare for it.
wesurvive

Re: Building our libraries of Educational Material

Postby jpf1030 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:42 am

Howdy WeSurvive,
We do have all those subjects pretty well covered in the BSOSC library either in hard copy or on disc. I would not be surprised if there are not 10,000 books available with all those on disc. I'm pretty sure we are over 1000 books in the BSOSC library for all subjects combined. We have some home school materials in hard copy from when we home schooled our kids. Our daughter, Jenica, is homeschooling her boys now and using those materials. We have bought some more of those, as has she, so the home school library is gradually building. I fully agree with your urging for all of us to continue our library building. I feel, though we have some, we are a little light in the biological sciences, chemistry, math and physics at the high school or collegiate undergraduate level, but at least we do have some basics covered. I consistently try to add a few books per week to the BSOSC library and some of you good folks have been downloading a bunch of e-books. I'm sure we are a tad skimpy on the entertainment reading type novels and classics as my mind is just not oriented that direction. With my hectic schedule, I can't bring myself to pick up a book if I'm not going to be learning from it. Those type books can be picked up for a dime to a quarter at yard sales, etc. If anyone wants to bring those type books to sell to the BSOSC library, we will be happy to buy them and put out on the shelf for members reading pleasure! Thanks again for your educational reminder for all of us to get this done while the opportunity is still easy...jpf
Visit SOS General Store for all your
jpf1030

Return to Awakening