[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
BSOSCBlog.com • View topic - Reinforcing one's home to increase survivability

Reinforcing one's home to increase survivability

Reinforcing one's home to increase survivability

Postby Elizabeth » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:25 am

See

Shelter - Because weather can have such an impact, I have planted a small windbreak at my house, it really needs more, but what is there has already reduced the amount of wind that hits me. It also increases privacy.

Before I started laying in supplies, the stick built house I am in needed some reinforcing to increase survivability from wind, weather, and earthquake. It has 2x4 and 2x6 walls toe nailed onto sill plates and 2x12 floor joists. I purchased metal framing brackets at Lowe’s and screwed them in everywhere I could reach, first in the basement and then in the attic. When we had the roof done, I asked the foreman to screw the roof sheets to the trusses. When we replaced the carpets, we screwed the underlayment to the joists. All this adds strength and durability.

The walls in the basement were reinforced with the metal brackets and then plywood sheets screwed over the face. The sills were either set in place with concrete screws or with nails from a power hammer.

The window wells were left stock but I fabricated 11/2 inch thick plywood plates (from shipping pallets) that easily slip in place back of the window glass inside the foundation. They are painted a flat black and are held in place by a crossbar and brackets. When installed, they are not noticeable from outside.

The hot water tank is attached to the wall with metal plumbers tape and between it and the floor drain is a water sensor alarm. A side note here: when we go out of town, the water for the house is shut off. A cellar full of water can ruin your year.

Hailstones are a randomly occurring disaster but they are enough of a fact of life that I have picked up a batch of new-in-the package heavy duty 10x20 plastic ripstop tarps at a garage sale for pennies on the dollar. If needed, I can do a temporary roof patch with them.

If there is structural damage to the house, there are a couple of canvas wall tents I picked up for next to nothing. The people had some new high tech tents and the old canvas wall tents weren’t good enough anymore. They are rather heavy, but they are in perfect condition; no mildew or rips and all the hardware is there. I have visqueen and indoor/outdoor carpet for floors.
Elizabeth

Re: Reinforcing one's home to increase survivability

Postby wesurvive » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:21 am

Sounds like you did a lot of work and each bit will help. We have to remember no matter how strong our homes are, nothing can withstand a large earthquake and not have some major structural damage. Depending on how the earthquake hits, the foundation will twist and crack and any wooden structure above it will break away and crumble. If it is just twisted a little, it may stand on its own yet, but structurally it would still need some repairs before it was safe to live in again without worry. So keeping what ever supplies handy including tools in a shed to rebuild or reinforce the damage structure is good to do. Also having a tent, food, water and other supplies on hand in the shed in some 5 gallon buckets would suffice till things got squared away unless your home is a total loss then its just time to dig through the rubble and find what you can to continuing living with and move on or rebuild later on.

I live in a solid cement (with strong fiber) home, reinforced every 6 inches with 1 inch rebar and 12 inch cement walls with a solid mono-form cement floor and I still wouldn't trust this place to stand up to a large earthquake. So I have placed the doors in central locations to get out quickly even if I am crawling on my knees to reach the door. What I do expect may happen is the door may jam from the twisting and I may have to use the exit window to get out, but to include I have also added several structural walls inside that may help hold up the ceiling and the walls, but that is not something I can count on, but it will help and I may get lucky.

But yes, each bit helps. If it is a massive earthquake we can just try to be fast enough to get out and watch what happens. We can hope. If California breaks off then we will all be rebuilding some part or all of our homes. We can prepare though. =)
Good post.
You Must Survive. So prepare for it.
wesurvive

Postby jpf1030 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:46 am

Howdy WeSurvive,
You seem like a good guy making good posts, but I have to totally disagree with your statement, "Sounds like you did a lot of work and each bit will help. We have to remember no matter how strong our homes are, nothing can withstand a large earthquake and not have some major structural damage". I can understand your misstatement because you are not familiar with the construction we do with shotcreted 3-D Tridipanels.
You can see some of our projects at our website, http://www.wildcreteinternational.com. It also shows the decorative concrete we do which can be used to hide and blend a structure into the surroundings. You mentioned solid concrete reinforced with "strong fiber". We also happen to make the strongest fiber in the world in post crack stress strength among other ACI testing standards. If you are interested in learning more, our website is http://www.wildfibre.com. 3-D structures have proven to come out unscathed in large EQ's and hurricanes when everything else was flattened. I do agree with the majority of your post and thank you for continuing your thoughtful posts...jpf
Visit SOS General Store for all your
jpf1030

Postby wesurvive » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:15 am

Sorry, I didn't know that it would take a beating from a large earthquake and survive. That is great to know. Now I am interested in using that reinforcement in my underground dome home idea. Thanks for posting that, it really made me feel better that there was something that would withstand large earthquakes out there. Absolutely fabulous!

Glad you posted that. =)
wesurvive

Postby wesurvive » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:24 am

Also, what kind of bullet resistance do the forms have? If they can withstand some heavy caliber bullets, it would make a good bullet proof wall for a safe room too.

Have you tested it for bullet proof? If so, hope you post that also on the posting of bullet proof rooms. Would be great for others to know that and maybe order from you. A few forms wouldn't cost a whole lot more than some plywood and other wood listed in the thread, I would rather go with your idea. Great Stuff, I am hooked.

I am as happy as a woodpecker on a ripe tree. =)
wesurvive

Postby jpf1030 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:07 am

Howdy WeSurvive,
Thanks for your enthusiasm for the 3-D Tridipanel construction system in our co., . I'm not about doing commercials here since we are the founders of this blog/forum, but since you have requested that I do another posting on bullet proof walls, I will do so and answer your questions...jpf
Visit SOS General Store for all your
jpf1030

Return to Disaster Resistant