Handy bomb shelter using a ravine or mounds of dirt

Handy bomb shelter using a ravine or mounds of dirt

Postby wesurvive » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:02 am

The handy dandy bomb shelter right in your own yard. Either above ground or below. If above all you need is some piles of dirt and rock, for below all you need is a ravine.

I was thinking about the other posting that Jeff posted on a bomb shelter just digging a hole and using logs to hold up the sides and use either logs and or cement to cover the roof. I looked over my land and found an area I could do this, but there was another area that was lower and would be easy to just go half below ground and half above, thus covering it with log and cement and dirt on top of that with bushes so nobody would know it was there.

Then, I walked to the other side of the hill and found a deep ravine that was about 20 feet deep and about 15 feet wide. Perfect to make a bomb shelter in and it was several hundred feet long, so there is all that space that can be turned into rooms. Nice. So here is what I thought up as a design.

Using peeled logs to be the cover (roof) and peeled logs to hold up the sides, in which cement can be used or brick as well to hold up the sides to give the shelter walls and help hold up the ceiling. The logs on the ceiling will overextend the ravine and should be set upon a solid surface (rock, cement or brick). Even just rock from around your yard or that you find out along a hillside can be used to be placed with cement and hold up the sides of the ravine. (Or mound if you build it above ground).

Then a layer of either plywood would be placed on top of the logs or cut log slabs going the opposite direction for both strength and to hold the ceiling together. Then a layer of 6 to 8 inches of cement or even real sticky clay (if you have a lot of it in your yard) can be used as the layer on top of your plywood or cut slabs. Then 3 feet of dirt and rock is then added to that to create the barrier between the inside and the outside which helps protect from radiation. You can also put on top of the plywood any thing such as lead (from batteries) or solar sheeting to prevent any low frequency microwaves from penetrating the inside of your shelter. (SUch as HAARP uses to look deep inside the ground.) Solar blankets are very cheap.

As for your walls, which you will build first, you can use peeled log to create your walls, thus you don't have to add anything to them once they are in place except linseed oil or you can paint the walls. Between the logs and the dirt, you will want to have a barrier of rock that is held together either by cement or thick clay, or you can go all out and use rebar and cement to create the heavier barrier. Depends on you budget.

Then all you do is add your rooms using 2x4's and create your shelves, counters and whatever else you want in the shelter. Any vents for air purifier can be planned out in advance before sealing off the roof.

You also have your choice for a toilet, such as a composting toilet or route a pipe to your existing sewer system if it is close enough.

A door can be just any steel door to start, thus adding more steel reinforcement to the door to make it more secure by just welding more metal to the outside and inside of the door. You can also add a lead shield to the door if you have the budget or melt some lead from batteries down.

The entrance should be about 20 feet long and zig zag its way to the door. Fully covered the same as you did your shelter including 3 feet of dirt and rock on top to protect the entry way. This makes it so when there is any nuclear disaster, the radiation carried by the wind will not be easily pushed up against the door. Which you can have a second door on the far outside of the entrance, which offers added protection from outside elements and radiation. You can also buy lead blankets to put up against the doors as well if there is a threat of radiation.

By which, if the ravine is long enough you also have room for an indoor greenhouse that would be securely inside your shelter. A generator room (if you don't use any free energy devices) and even a battery pack room for your other electricity needs. Greenhouse would require at least a few hours of light from either heat lamps or LED growing lights to help the plants grow.

Now for above ground shelters, you need to make large mounts of dirt as long as the shelter is that you want to make. As wide as you want the shelter to be. Thus in the middle as you form the two mounds you have your ravine which you can reinforce to your own desires. Thus adding the logs on top that overextend the ravine will provide the making of your roof. Either way they are built in the same manner once the ravine is prepared for building the shelter.
^--^

A good view of something similar, but this shelter was made out of cement and large pipe.
http://www.ki4u.com/nuclearsurvival/ark ... otoout.htm

Anyway, I think you get the idea.
You Must Survive. So prepare for it.
wesurvive

Return to Disaster Resistant