[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
BSOSCBlog.com • View topic - Anyone use this mobile welding system?

Anyone use this mobile welding system?

Anyone use this mobile welding system?

Postby Renaissance Ronin » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:23 pm

Many of you know that I help families build affordable, ISBU (shipping container) homes.

These weather resistant homes are very much like the home you're probably already living in, except that they come with a Corten Steel Shroud that forms a mantle that helps protect you from Mother Nature when she's visiting in a bad mood...

And due to several pre-existing circumstances (like a lack of encompassing building codes) most of these homes are built "rurally." In fact, you'll find some of them in the darndest places that you can imagine, well off the "beaten track."

Like any "metal based" construction practice, the construction of these homes requires metal/steel fabrication, and more importantly, welding.

Building remotely means hauling EVERYTHING to wherever you're going, back and forth... You get the idea.

There's a company out there that make this product;

http://zena.net/htdocs/welders/weldinf.shtml#Top

You're on your farm. A piece of critical equipment is broken. You don't have a $3,000 mobile welder on the farm. You don't have a high current outlet for a shop welder anywhere near the equipment. You can't easily move the equipment to your shop.

Time to try to get a commercial welder with mobile equipment to come over?

Not if you have the ZENA™ mobile welding system installed on your tractor, truck, or other farm vehicle.

Just drive to the job. Connect welding/control cables to the power generator. Start the engine & set it to a fast idle. Start welding. Finish welding.

It (the above italicized statement and the following are taken directly from their website) is a "self-contained, ultra-compact, new technology, engine-driven DC welder which can be attached to any motor (including pneumatic and hydraulic motors). A number of models and/or configurations are available, ALL with 100% duty cycle welding power outputs ranging from 150 to over 800 amps."

Essentially it's a belt-driven alternator that mounts to your existing truck engine, and it operates exactly like the alternator you already run on your rig.

It's not really a "new" technology. We've been rebuilding and modifying alternators to do exactly this for years, but it's been a "geek thing", and not a "product thing". In fact, I learned to do it in a Kibbutz in Israel many years ago. (It was so long ago that I still had hair on my head, and not a hairline that was racing to the back of my neck as I type this.) However... It DOES work, and it does get you into welding "on the fly." And since it can be driven off almost any motor within reason, it can be mounted to power generation systems (if you had to, in an emergency), et all...

(I don't advocate hanging ANYTHING off your power gennie "except in dire straits and extreme emergencies". I think that it's best to leave some things "alone...")

But it appears that these guys have perfected the "alternator welder" system and gotten it down to a science.

Having a welder with you "wherever your truck carries yer butt", would not only be great for emergencies, but it'd be cool for daily use, too.

Anyone out there use one? Any experience with the company?

And... would you pay $1400 for one? $1400? Um... oy.

Just inquiring...

Ronin

aka: Alex
Renaissance Ronin

Re: Anyone use this mobile welding system?

Postby jpf1030 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:04 am

Howdy Alex,
We bought 3 of these to get a dealership about 8 or 9 years ago. We had quite a bit of contact with the factory and were quite sold on them. Though we had best of intentions, many long stories happened in the interim and they are still sitting neatly in their boxes. One of our diesel trucks at the time was the intended first recipient, but we ran into a few surmountable obstacles they we did not have time then to surmount. Oh well, someday, we just may get caught up a little and get these installed on EMPP vehicles. We now think they could be even more important than way back then...jpf
Visit SOS General Store for all your
jpf1030

Postby wesurvive » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:00 am

Oh sure, now you are making me want one. I read a while back about one and watched the video of someone who made his own DC welder, then looked up the how to plans and then read it didn't work as it said it did. Ok, now I am curious again, if it works I want to build one. haha.

Why I do this to myself I have no idea, but now I am determined to find that ebook on making your own DC welder again. It said you can make your own for a few hundred bucks, which I am so cheap that is right up my alley. haha.

If I find it again, does anyone want the plans to DIY BIY (Do it yourself and build it yourself)?
If jpf isn't selling them, if he does, then I don't want to run over his sales.
You Must Survive. So prepare for it.
wesurvive

Postby jpf1030 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:21 am

Go for it, WeSurvive. I'm not trying to sell ours since someday, just maybe we will use them or make great barter items of them!...jpf
jpf1030

Postby wesurvive » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:42 am

Sounds great, so here is a few things on DC welding DIY and BIY (Do It Yourself and Build It Yourself).

Building a DC welder DIY (Do It Yourself) project. Made easy. And Cheap..(I Love Cheap).. =)

Version using Golf Cart Batteries, 6 volt and some nice Amps. Or 4 or 6 or 8 batteries 12 volts in parallel (+ to + and - to -) will make some nice amps. That is from what I am getting from reading this, its not voltage, its is the higher Amps you need for welding.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Golfcart--Welder/

http://zedomax.com/blog/2008/05/16/diy- ... golf-cart/

Free Ebook about building your own DC welder. Download Pdf here.
http://www.your-career-change.com/suppo ... ersion.pdf

Some more photos and articles.
http://allwright.biz/images/diy-welder.html

I am not a person who is any expert on welding, in fact I only welded a little in the past, but anyone can do it with a little practice.

Any other input is welcome. Other ideas perhaps or if someone finds something (Ebook or download or video) to post here would help a lot.
You Must Survive. So prepare for it.
wesurvive

Postby Renaissance Ronin » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:11 am

Hi guys,

While it does take a little getting used to, I think it's a good tool to have in the arsenal.

And if you have a good "pull-a-part center" local to you, you can even buy a decent Ford diesel engine for peanuts, and hang them off that. I've purchased them for less than a few hundred bucks.

Now before you "brand" guys start hanging me out to dry for saying FORD instead of Dodge or Chevy, I've just had better luck with Ford diesels. Buy an older one that isn't crammed to the airbox with computer modules and you'll have something that will run forever on little maintenance. And you'll get power to burn.... rods.

Oh stop groaning... it was just ONE pun. ;)

I really think that this is good way to go. If for no other reason then the fact that you'll never be without a welder... unless yer Dodge won't start... ;)

And is there a tools category that this should have gone into?

If there isn't could we establish one? I have a TON of "survival tools" that could be listed and self-manufactured that will take a bite out of the hardships of life "Post Obama."

Alex

PS. Just so you know... the best truck I ever owned was a Dodge Ram2500 Diesel 4 door Duelie.. when it would start. :)
Renaissance Ronin

Postby jpf1030 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:05 am

Howdy Alex,
Your wish is my command...this time, anyway! I have edited Task Force #1 to encompass your requested easy link for survival tools, as well as make the main Task Force #1 forum title more clear in that this is the place we have "How To" info. Now you can easily post away :D !!!...jpf
jpf1030

Return to Alternative Home Construction