[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
BSOSCBlog.com • View topic - Gearing up your BOV or RV to bug out

Gearing up your BOV or RV to bug out

Gearing up your BOV or RV to bug out

Postby wesurvive » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:54 am

Well the situation may arise for those who prepare that they can take a vehicle off road to live away from the danger zones. That is expecting the roads to be still intact, considering bridges may not be there after an earthquake. So a good map is handy to have designed a plan for those roads that don't have any bridges to be used. Expect heavy traffic, even expect road blocks, even abandoned vehicles littering the roads.

Prepping the vehicle:

Make sure it runs, repair anything and keep it in good shape so when you need it, it will be there to use. Otherwise you are on foot.

Extra fuel should be stored, extra bottles of seafoam and HEET should be stored as well. Helps both with old fuel and mixes the water with the fuel so it still runs.

Bug out bags (BOB's) should be ready to go and the vehicle should have its own BOB bag assortment. Including tools to work on the vehicle later. Extra parts should also be thought of, simple but not getting too much since you cannot fix some things with parts you do not have or cannot buy once the disaster strikes. Now, this leaves you with a huge opportunity to load up people and extra food as well in that Bug out Vehicle. However, everyone should be willing to walk if need be. The rest of the stuff will have to stay with the vehicle if it breaks down. Just one of those things.

The older the vehicle the better. Older vehicles that have lasted for 50 years are still running. Newer vehicles last about 10 years and if you are lucky it lasted that long. My 1964 jeep has never gave me trouble yet. Since I bought it years ago, the only thing I replaced is the battery. (By the looks of the old one, I think it was the original. haha) My newer vehicles I have spent thousands on and yet the jeep is beat up and cost me just enough for a battery. They just don't make them like they used to. Everything is made in China today. I could almost bet, all the newer vehicles I own have a sticker "Made in China" on them somewhere. Just have to look harder I guess.

Roof racks. They sell them at NAPA for about $30 bucks, but you can put a lot of stuff on those racks including longer things you can't fit inside the vehicle. They strap on, just I used some winching type tie down straps so the wooden beams wouldn't fall off on my extremely rough road and they held together great. Great to have on hand. You can put them on and take them off whenever you want. Takes a few minutes do it.

RV's on the other hand can be like a home away from home. Gosh, taking an RV off road is actually fun. I have done it, been there done that sort of thing and it was nice sleeping in a real bed instead of the ground and cooking on a real stove. Even popping open the fridge and grabbing something cold. Even a camper drug behind any Truck will work. As always, there is plenty of room for extra people and more food to be stored. Something big as that requires lots of tree limbs to camo it when out in the wild. So if you don't want to be noticed, bring an axe with your RV. You can also throw small rocks, tree limbs, debris, sand, and other things to help camo it on top of the RV as well. What ever works for the area you end up in. Just remember, if your RV can be seen, you will probably have visitors and even guests of all types. Everyone loves a bed to sleep in. haha Or you can do the Hot Bed Swap, once you are out, another jumps in to sleep. =) Also RV's have that large extra gas tank so they are like Air refueling tankers as well for your other vehicles if need be. You won't be going across States, so that extra fuel can be used in other vehicles. Keep those tanks topped off.

Using ATV's, bikes and other small motorized vehicles to escape the disaster are great too. Carry some wire cutters to cut any barbed wire fences down if the roads are out. Throw some saddle bags on to carry extra supplies and figure out ways to make it as complete as you can with everything you will need, even extra jerry bars or racks to carry extra stuff can make a difference. Keeping an eye on the weight ratio since if you overload it, you won't go very far.
Expect two people to be on one. You may have a guest or two at your home when things happen, even have room for more than one family member to take along if possible. The strongest are on foot, the rest ride. Remember, extra fuel is needed too. Have a 5 gallon gas tank on the back too, or if you don't care about fuel and just getting out with your stuff and relatives, then it's a last on the list thing.

****Ditching any Bug out Vehicle is hard to do. But that important stuff should be taken off and buried so you can sneak back later if you want and dig it up to take in parts or pieces back to your camp. It may also be that someone else you know is on the radio saying they are coming with their vehicle later and then they can stop and dig up your stuff and bring it to you. I would never leave it out in the open unless you have no choice but to get out as fast as you can and get away. If you have the chance, bury it. If people are watching and drooling, tell them they can have it since they will dig it up anyway and take it. It depends on the situation. If you break down on a main road or in town, forget it. Leave it as is and get out with just your bug out bag.

Anyone feel free to add to this list.
You Must Survive. So prepare for it.
wesurvive

Re: Gearing up your BOV or RV to bug out

Postby jpf1030 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:32 pm

Be sure to include a few other items in your emergency parts stash for your BOV. We are working on stockpiling extra engine belts and fuel filters for each vehicle and piece of equipment. Fan, etc., belts are a quite vulnerable maintenance item which when broken will completely disable your BOV. Also, a flat tire shuts you down. We highly recommend an emergency tire repair kit, along with hand or 12V tire pump and the emergency belt repair kits. We are setting up our dealership for the store with manufacturers of these products, so we should have them available in the next few weeks. However, don't wait on us if you have access to the vital items for your BOV. Just get them somewhere and get your VEP (vehicle emergency pack completed with 3 days survival supplies) put together and kept in your vehicle...jpf
Visit SOS General Store for all your
jpf1030

Return to BOV (Bug Out Vehicles) RV Campers